Wednesday, September 25, 2013

We do school here?

September  11, 2013
Seville, Spain
First day of school!

School has started for us here at Pablo de Olavide University, just a short 15 minute metro ride for me, where I have settled in quite nicely given the shock at first. The professors are all extremely welcoming, and very easy to talk to although their English isn't the greatest, and my Spanish isn't quite up to par just yet. But I have to admit, the language is becoming more and more familiar to me as I am being forced to listen and speak Spanish as I would speak English at home. The progress I have made in just 2 short weeks gives me hope and excitement for what there is to come!

There have been many funny rumors about what our school used to be, before it was a college. For example, an insane asylum (which isn't surprising if you saw the school...), a prison (apparently where Prison Break was filmed, YAY!), and a few other strange assumptions. The campus is very spread out, but nice to walk through.

As American students, we are completely isolated with all other American students, way on the far side of the campus, as if to keep us away from the natives. Although this is sort of an unfortunate aspect of the school, it makes it much less overwhelming and intimidating to be a student there, and so far, I am loving it!

Here is what the school looks like from above:


Prison break? Maybe.. Insane asylum? Not surprised. It looks all too similar to a jail for crazy people in my opinion, but as a student there, I am anticipating learning too many great things about the language and culture in Spain to care too much about what this place may have once been!

Aside from being assigned an entire novel to read in Spanish... class is enjoyable, entertaining, and not too long to the point of complete boredom. I am beyond grateful for this opportunity to be a student here, and be able to travel Europe as I have always wanted! 

Throwback to my first trip to Barcelona!
Special shout out to my big sissy Chasie, for teaching me the ways of being an abroad student, and encouraging me to be able to do something I never would have thought of on my own. For being the first person to enjoy Spain with, and eventually be my roomie in this beautiful place! Since our first time in Barcelona together, I have dreamed of the day that we will live somewhere in Spain together, and I cannot wait for our time to come.




Needless to say, although it would be quite an experience to solely travel Europe, I am glad to be studying here, and am so excited to see what the accomplishment will be in the end.

But enough about school, it's adventure time! See you on the other side!

Siempre besos de Espana!



No comments:

Post a Comment